« Home | When it rains... » | Why I never should have started apartment hunting » | I have a job! » | If it's good enough for an ostrich... » | I'd go the whole wide world... » | Follow up » | Interview! » | Plasma Donation: Successful » | Wake up call...it's 4 a.m. (actual representation ... » | I'm still alive, I promise... »

(possible) return of the social life

(the first half of this post was written Friday afternoon)

Things have been a little slow in my social life and I really only (mostly) have myself to blame. I just haven’t wanted to go out, haven’t been too excited. Part of it is that I miss having really awesome girls to hang out with (again, my own fault for leaving Iowa and also for not making more trips down to Colorado Springs). I do have some old work friends from LNT, but most of them don’t live nearby anymore. Woe is me. Sob. Sob.

Okay, enough of my pity party. I’m planning on turning things around a little when I move to Denver (a little over a week away, meaning this weekend=packing). Mostly I’ve just felt a little bored with myself but no desire to break out of my “lay-low” pattern. I’ve been hanging out with Sister Sarah on the weekends (and other assorted family members) and my Netflix subscriptions during the week (yes, I did notice that that’s a pattern I fall into when I’m depressed). But really, I’m not depressed (not too much); I’m just a little overwhelmed.

As I become more familiar with my job, I discover that I still like it (whoo-hoo!). However, it takes a lot out me and at the end of the work day I’m not really too thrilled with the idea of doing much. Part of it is getting used to getting up “early” again (no mid day nap) and part of it is just that work is a little stressful (because I’m still learning a lot), which means it’s exhausting (read: why I haven’t posted in a while).

There are perks, though. This company really likes a happy employee. They give out clothes for free (right now I’m cutting a stunning figure in a blue button-up with the company logo embroidered on the front) and even better…they have a fully stocked kitchen. You may wonder what exactly this entails…pretty much what it sounds like. There are two microwaves, two refrigerators and whatever food you can imagine (seriously, whatever you want. The secretary orders food every week and she has a list you can add items to; then the place is restocked every Monday, which means you’d better get there early on Monday to get all the good stuff). I’m starting to see a lot of benefits to this. I don’t eat breakfast at home most days and I’m saving a ton of money (or will be) with the lack of food I have to shop for at the store every week.

And, we get to leave the office occasionally. I’ve been run marketing errands with the marketing assistant (also my office mate) and I’ve also been out to visit a few job sites. Today the marketing assistant and I are going up to Breckenridge to take some photos of a couple new schools, including one grand opening. A half day at the office doesn’t sound too shabby and we’re going out for drinks (with possibly some other A&P people) afterward.

These are a Few of My Favorite Things
FOOD: I discovered a new cheese (well technically I’m stealing this credit from my mom, but meh): black diamond cheddar; it’s very sharp, very artery clogging, very much from Scotland (or somewhere far far away), and very much yummy. Only to be known to be found at Whole Foods.

MUSIC: I just started getting music from iTunes again (well, I was poor and the slow Internet connection plays havoc with my patience). I’ve been DLing a lot of KBCO tracks, but if anyone has any good suggestions, let me know. I like Feist right now (thanks to…um…Magner? Pretty sure…) and Amy Winehouse (thanks to Ruthann and Shaw).

HAIR: I’m still a blond but I’m thinking of going red again or ever brunette. The onset of fall makes me long for those darker colors, and with my hair’s stubbornness, more than likely it will fad in a month or so anyway.

MOVIES: I saw Stardust and loved it. It’s escapism, which is what I look for in a movie. Removed from reality? Sign me up!


The above post was written yesterday…so here’s a quick update. I went to Frisco/Breckenridge and took some (sort of) awesome photos. At the middle school (where there was a grand opening) I admitted to my boss that we may not have gotten the right shots of the high school (after he explained to me which part of the building was added on by A&P…and also, what was I thinking?), met the um…very attractive…project executive (yes, sadly that is the end of that story), and got a tour of some of the new construction.

Wired on Starbucks, the Marketing Assistant (who will now be referred to as Dee) and I drove home. I tried hard not to speed and passed the same van hauling a makeshift trailer three times (once because I tend to pass people on the interstate, twice because we stopped for gum and ladeda there we go passing it again, and thrice because I got off at the wrong exit (which I never ever do) and had to take a little detour to get back again).

We went and had a couple drinks at BJ’s with one of the estimators, Anthony, and then sat around debating where to go next. I was supposed to call Shaw when our plans solidified and then…my phone died. And then…it was decided that we should go somewhere I have managed to avoid my whole life…The Grizzley Rose. A country bar. What do I have against country? I like some country. I don’t like feeling like I’ve been sucked into a twilight zone and am back with people I could have gone to high school with (I try to forget high school). It was fun though. I had a Bloody Mary (my new favorite drink, thanks to Sarah) and could have had a better time if I’d had more to drink (but I was battling that balance between having more to drink and being really tired, or not drinking, making the evening less adventurous and still being really tired). I called it quits at only 11 (feeling a bit lame) and went home.

I woke up at 6 this morning (I’m guessing that is just what’s going to happen anymore) and am planning on shopping today and maybe having dinner with Shaw.

End of (boring) update (and if you’re waiting, and have been waiting for a while now, many posts even, for me to address my issues with parentheticals, well ha! I’m sure somewhere out there Helen Ewald is holding the same hope, but they are just one of my (endearing) personality querks. Read: I am a person of asides and staying linear is just now what my mind was built for.).

So, I have a tough time hearing over the phone - I think because I have to listen so much during the day to people over the phone that my usually okay hearing simply sucks. I thought you said you lived on Purpis street and then started reading up on Five Points in Denver - and after consulting a map realized you lived on Curtis. So, it looks like I could take a lite rail if I didn't want to try to find parking in five points? That's kind of superb. I called Colin tonight to see if he heard about Friday night plans yet and he didn't answer but I hope to hear something tommorrow. :) I cant believe that Denver has a downtown night life - you are exposing me to the post-college life I never knew!

Post a Comment