When it rains...
Apparently it’s monsoon season in Colorado. In the same breath that this statement was relayed to me, I was also privy to the following nugget: how preposterous. Those of you not familiar with Colorado may not understand the ridiculousness of a monsoon season here, but I assure you that there is indeed something a bit off about the term. It isn’t like Arizona where it’s all hot and dry and then for a few weeks in the summer it rains and rains…and rains. It isn’t like Iowa where there are exotic late night thunderstorms at night and stifling humidity during the day. Monsoon season in Colorado…well, it’s what you imagine a nice summer could be like.
July was hot. H.O.T. Roasty toasty. Maybe not Arizona hot (in the hundreds every day…although pretty darn close) or Iowa hot (in the upper eighties and nineties with that darn humidity), but we Coloradoans are weenies. How many days of sunshine can a person endure (it’s really us who should be called the sunshine state)? So for the past week it has been in the 60’s in the morning. The sun comes out during the day, burns off all the clouds, and then they come rolling in from the southwest (mountains) and sprinkle the earth, mostly just enough to keep the top soil under control (otherwise it’s very rowdy).
Why am I rambling about monsoon season, you ask? You mean to say you want to hear about my first few days at work? Whether or not I got the apartment? Silly readers. That would just be me being sensible…which I am not.
Last week was a bit stressful as I sought advice about living in the city. I had to have a background check done to find out whether or not I could get the apartment I wanted. Boy was I thrilled when I found out that I not only have $20,000 in student loans, but also a significant amount in credit card debt (which I had no knowledge of). I have 9 credit cards (yes, too many, I know), but none of them have an unpaid balance. The ones that I do use get paid off every month. I was livid. How could the credit check people have screwed up so royally? I don’t know, but I double-checked with them and it was most certainly a misunderstanding. Shakes fist angrily.
However, my new potential landlord was more than willing to let me sign the lease, “bad credit” and all, as long as I paid the security deposit and last month’s rent up front. This was going to require borrowing a bit from my parents, but I had no desire to keep apartment hunting. I’d found a place I loved and that was that. So on Saturday I signed the lease. I signed it and as I was leaving my landlord’s house, it started to rain. It was raining so hard by the time I got home that I had to leave my lease in the car.
On Sunday night I couldn’t sleep. I started work the next day. I was nervous. It was raining outside. Loud thunder. Bright lightning. I slept maybe 4 hours (maybe). That’s a bit devastating to an 8.5 hour gal like me. But I survived. And I survived my first day. A lot of running around and meeting people. A drug test. Trying to remember things I am sure to forget. A couple of meetings. A business expensed lunch. I’m exhausted from the sheer newness of it all. Today was more of the same, figuring out how to use my email, intranet, phone (I’m afraid of it), and more. But then this afternoon I got to actually do some real work. My boss had received a request for proposal (RFP) and went over it with me and what we would be doing. He then gave me the rest of the day (2.5 hours) to play around with designing a template for the proposal! It was great working with InDesign again and although I didn’t create a work of art, I don’t totally hate it. It was just nice to be doing some actual work. Some of the orientation stuff is sort of boring (but understandably necessary) and has me clock watching.
I left work today feeling tired (I’m behind on sleep and not used to getting up early) but somewhat satisfied. I’ve been feeling really lethargic in the afternoons (almost like being hungover, although that can’t be it since I haven’t had drinks). I think my body misses working out. Hang on body, soon I’ll be able to afford a gym membership. It rained as I was coming home, sucking the heat out of the air (it was 81 when I left work and 64 when I got home). Now I’m sitting on plumy, typing away, as the sky clears up and a cool rain smelling breeze wafts through the window. I feel content. Almost.
July was hot. H.O.T. Roasty toasty. Maybe not Arizona hot (in the hundreds every day…although pretty darn close) or Iowa hot (in the upper eighties and nineties with that darn humidity), but we Coloradoans are weenies. How many days of sunshine can a person endure (it’s really us who should be called the sunshine state)? So for the past week it has been in the 60’s in the morning. The sun comes out during the day, burns off all the clouds, and then they come rolling in from the southwest (mountains) and sprinkle the earth, mostly just enough to keep the top soil under control (otherwise it’s very rowdy).
Why am I rambling about monsoon season, you ask? You mean to say you want to hear about my first few days at work? Whether or not I got the apartment? Silly readers. That would just be me being sensible…which I am not.
Last week was a bit stressful as I sought advice about living in the city. I had to have a background check done to find out whether or not I could get the apartment I wanted. Boy was I thrilled when I found out that I not only have $20,000 in student loans, but also a significant amount in credit card debt (which I had no knowledge of). I have 9 credit cards (yes, too many, I know), but none of them have an unpaid balance. The ones that I do use get paid off every month. I was livid. How could the credit check people have screwed up so royally? I don’t know, but I double-checked with them and it was most certainly a misunderstanding. Shakes fist angrily.
However, my new potential landlord was more than willing to let me sign the lease, “bad credit” and all, as long as I paid the security deposit and last month’s rent up front. This was going to require borrowing a bit from my parents, but I had no desire to keep apartment hunting. I’d found a place I loved and that was that. So on Saturday I signed the lease. I signed it and as I was leaving my landlord’s house, it started to rain. It was raining so hard by the time I got home that I had to leave my lease in the car.
On Sunday night I couldn’t sleep. I started work the next day. I was nervous. It was raining outside. Loud thunder. Bright lightning. I slept maybe 4 hours (maybe). That’s a bit devastating to an 8.5 hour gal like me. But I survived. And I survived my first day. A lot of running around and meeting people. A drug test. Trying to remember things I am sure to forget. A couple of meetings. A business expensed lunch. I’m exhausted from the sheer newness of it all. Today was more of the same, figuring out how to use my email, intranet, phone (I’m afraid of it), and more. But then this afternoon I got to actually do some real work. My boss had received a request for proposal (RFP) and went over it with me and what we would be doing. He then gave me the rest of the day (2.5 hours) to play around with designing a template for the proposal! It was great working with InDesign again and although I didn’t create a work of art, I don’t totally hate it. It was just nice to be doing some actual work. Some of the orientation stuff is sort of boring (but understandably necessary) and has me clock watching.
I left work today feeling tired (I’m behind on sleep and not used to getting up early) but somewhat satisfied. I’ve been feeling really lethargic in the afternoons (almost like being hungover, although that can’t be it since I haven’t had drinks). I think my body misses working out. Hang on body, soon I’ll be able to afford a gym membership. It rained as I was coming home, sucking the heat out of the air (it was 81 when I left work and 64 when I got home). Now I’m sitting on plumy, typing away, as the sky clears up and a cool rain smelling breeze wafts through the window. I feel content. Almost.

So if you're sitting on plummy, does that mean you've already moved in to your new apartment? Or has plummy just made itself at home in your parent's house? :)
Posted by
Rob |
7:54 AM
I don't get to move in until September 1st. So plummy has just had to make do with the family room. I try to sit on her a lot so she doesn't feel neglected...but it's inevitable.
Posted by
Dana |
9:50 AM