« Home | Today » | I maintain that it is SPRING! » | photos, photos, photos! » | on the one hand » | Washington Highlights » | beautiful morning » | Spring Breaks Past » | European Update » | Cold Weather Cure » | Weep Not for the Creative Mind »

Oral Defense

I passed my oral defense! I was going to post this earlier, but I was exhausted. It went very well. Something like this:

I was very nervous when I woke up at 6 am this morning. One of my alarms didn’t go off (I need 2), making feel unsettled right away. Still, I hopped sleepily into the shower. I slowly got ready, rehearse my presentation, thinking I had plenty of time. Then, oh shit! Suddenly it’s 7:20 and I realize that I still have to run to HyVee for breakfast. Although bringing food is not required, I realize that 8:30 am is a little cruel and it might be nice to bring breakfast for my committee. A quick trip to HyVee and I have bottled water, bagels, and cream cheese. I get home, run in the door, grab my bag and computer and run right back out to barely catch the 7:45 bus. Once on campus, I check out a projector for my computer (because there isn’t one in the room I’m defending in). This projector, by they way, is infamously called “Thing 1” (and yes, there is also a Thing 2), which doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence, but I manage to hook it up and get it running.

Coach, my committee chair, comes in to the conference room a couple minutes before 8:30. I think he can tell I’m a little nervous. He informally tells me that he really enjoyed my project and then relates a little anecdote to calm me down (he ran into a female professor in the hall, who I have never had class with, and mentions that he’s off to my defense. He asks, “Do you know Dana Humphreys?” She replies, “You mean the pretty blonde?” Needless to say he made me laugh and I felt a little better).

One of my committee members shows up late (but I’m not worried, he’s notoriously late) and I start off with my presentation. It goes very well and then I field questions about my project. Overall, I think I answer them quite knowledgably. Then I’m sent out of the room while they deliberate. After a couple of the most nerve-wracking minutes, Coach opens the door and booms, “Congratulations, young lady, you passed.” He shakes my hand and murmurs a kind comment about “as if there was any doubt.” My committee members all shake my hand and I’m free to go. My bagels are left untouched but I don’t care. I’m done!

After telling a few friends and running some paperwork over to the graduate college (in heels I might ad), I head over to the class I teach to finish off the rest of it (Krystal was kind enough to cover the first part of it for me, thanks lady). I’m giddy and can’t stop smiling and Michael says he’s glad to see me like this. I’ll admit I haven’t been my giddy self much lately. Finally, I head home, watch part of a movie, eat my bagel (and half a tub of strawberry cream cheese) and pass out for two hours.

Woo! Congrats!

I realize I haven't emailed you in, like, a week. I'm such a bad friend! I shall email you tonight - promise!

Congrats again! Happy, happy, joy, joy!

Yea!!! Good job! and now I want a bagel...

Congrats! :) It's a fantastic feeling to have that weight off your shoulders, no?

I meant to call Tuesday to see how it went and completely forgot, so I'm easily as bad a friend as Alicia. ;)

Post a Comment