Curing the wanderlust

As far back as I can remember, I’ve wanted to go places, to leave life behind for a little and travel. I know I have a romanticized notion of traveling, but it doesn’t really matter. Traveling makes me so excited that the anticipation alone is always worth the journey. Putting me in a car ride or the plane flight somewhere new is like setting a kid in front of a present on Christmas; there it is, the perfect gift, just waiting to be opened. No matter how the trip goes, no matter what the present is, it will be a surprise. I like that kind of surprise. I can’t ever remember a bad vacation. They just aren’t bad. I mean, I can think of plenty of things that could go wrong, but even that is part of the fun (because no matter how bad your excursion is, just think of the story it will make when you come home).
And in a few months, I might actually be going to Europe. Me! Although I have thought of going to Europe many times, this is the first time in my whole life that I can remember actually halfway believing I’d go. The big problem has always been companionship. I needed someone to go with. Not only do I not want to get lost in Italy by myself, I want to have someone to talk about how stupid we were when we get back. Hey, remember the time we got lost in Italy? So the reason I look at the situation seriously this time? Because I got someone to almost agree to go with me (I’ll take what I can get). Who would that be? One Miss Stephanie Jennings. No pressure, saj, but I’m already giddy. I’m planning and plotting places to go, and if you change your mind, I just don’t know what I’ll do (maybe find a travel group to go with…anything! I must go!).
I’m newly addicted to the travel channel (which of course is really helping my with my travel obsession). Among other things, I recently watched a special on the Star Princess. The cruise ship that could. I don’t know how I feel about watching shows about things I want to do, places I want to see, cruise ships that could take over the world. It just makes me more anxious.
Back to Planet Iowa
So Rob moved this weekend. I’m glad I’m not going to be moving anywhere for a while. I’ve had my fill of packing and boxes. Expect some pictures to be posted soon. I think this weekend we’ll be painting his basement. It’s a nice place to hang out and watch movies because it is so dark, but it’s almost a little too dark. Rob referred to it as dungeon-y. I also think in the next few weekends we’ll be doing other various house things, like a trip IKEA (yay for Sweeden). I have to remember to be good and actually still do some homework on the weekends. I’ll have to find time to relax during the week because the weekends look to be busy busy.
By far my favorite part of Rob’s new house is the porch, which he tells me is exactly the reason Pam moved there in the first place (or at least one of the reasons). It's a screened in Wonderland. We arranged some of the furniture, and although it doesn’t look perfect, the couch angles to look out into the backyard. There’s something so safe and comforting about that porch. It is a good place to find Smaug, or Meowers (sometimes she gets tired of the basement), or Dana (who is hiding from the unpacking).
