One little kitten
I went over to Betsey’s tonight after I got off of work. She said she had a couple of things she wanted to give me. When I got there, she came in from working in the garden; we went upstairs to look at the kitten. She went into the closet first and I heard her gasp. I think he’s dead, she said. She pulled the kitten out of its box. It looked eerily stiff. No, she said and started to cry. She held it in a washcloth, pressing down on its chest with her finger, trying to get its heart to beat. I don’t understand how this happened; I just checked on him an hour ago and he seemed fine. She kept petting it with the washcloth; Lucy was walking around our ankles. I didn’t know what to say. It seemed lame to say I was sorry, but I did. We went outside and buried it in the garden. Lucy’s going to be so confused, she said. When we went back upstairs, Lucy was still in the closet. Lucy was talking in a way that I had never heard her talk before. Betsey picked her up for a second. Lucy doesn’t usually like to be held for too long and wriggles. I knew Betsey and I were both wondering: what went wrong? Lucy climbed into her nest expectantly. It seems so stupid to say, but she looked confused. I knelt down to pet her head, and that’s when I started to cry. Betsey and I hugged and cried. It just felt so strange. One little kitten.

That is so sad......I'm so sorry!
Posted by
thisbearbites |
2:45 PM